It’s been just over a week since I started this year’s hydroponic project. Of the six seeds that I started, three (from two different varieties) have already germinated. The Yellow 7 Pots from a fellow chili grower are both up and stretching for the (artificial) lighting. One of the Lava Scorpions from Refining Fire Chilis is also making good progress as of this writing.

Much like the sowing process earlier this year for the outside plants, there’s no sign from the Fatalii just yet. It’s still a bit early, so we’ll keep at those two seeds while managing the ones that are ready to grow.

Yellow 7 Pot Scorpion Sprouting

As you can see in the photos above and below, I’ve moved a couple of sprouts to their own net cups. These will eventually head into my Kratky setup when their root systems are developed enough to support the larger container. For the time being their will be watered with a diluted hydroponic solution.

Lava Scorpion Sprouting

The Lava Scorpion and second Yellow 7 Pot are still just barely there, but are driving for the lights. I’m pretty pleased with their progress thus far. We’ll have to keep our eye on the Fatalii.

Yellow 7 Pot Scorpion Sprouting

The cleaned Chinese food takeout container has worked beautifully in mimicking a greenhouse for the seeds to germinate. I open it periodically to allow some fresh air in and a bit of moisture to escape so that mildew and mold don’t take hold. I highly recommend reusing items like this, especially if you are growing on a smaller scale like I am for this particular project.

Currenty hydroponic arrangement

That’s it for this quick update. More to come as the plants continue to develop.